September 29, 2007

Taking the moment...


Sharon and I were just headed to the long check out line at the Bodagona ( our grocery store) when I spotted my friend Sarah's husband, Tony and their son Jacob, strapped in a front pack to his dad. "Hey" we called out over the crowd and Tony made his way over to us while I laughed and said "You doing the whole single dad shopping trick?" he laughed right back and said " Yep, how am I doing?!" Our conversation soon turned to what we are all talking about these days in Guatemala and our friends and families are talking about back home and my adopting families are talking about with me daily, the political climate of adoptions, which is in complete upheaval. Tony commented that he and Sarah just felt strongly that if for some reason they were stuck in the adoption process for Jacob and the country closed, they would simply see the Lord's hand in leading them to live in Guatemala... Jacob snuggled closer to his daddy and I marveled at this couple's faith, but he struck a cord in my heart for those children who were not snuggled in the front pack of a parent who was willing to lay their life down in love for them....so this is a plea for all of you faithful friends to gather at the throne on behalf of the many little ones in Guatemala who are without families and hope, that the Lord would have mercy!! Politics are at their height here in Guatemala, strong statements by the Department of State have been issued, speculations made, rumors flying that spark fear in families waiting to bring their children home, we guess and second guess to try and figure out what is going to happen, we look back at the history of other countries that have been closed down for some time by the implementation of the Hague, and most of all we try and wrap our hearts around the fact that children as precious as yours and mine will be deprived from the only thing they really need and most of all deserve, families and to be sons and daughters and not "nameless" rejects....these children have faces. I ask you to think of your children, your grandchildren, your nieces and nephews and with the preciousness of their lives imprinted on your hearts, please pray for the children of Guatemala and let's trust Him to faithful and mighty to save!


THANK YOU, Katie Mohr and all our amazing friends who shipped across country a whole suitcase full of goodies for Sharon, Irene, Bella, Madi and me.....we had "Christmas" at my apartment as we reveled over each coloring book, puzzle, magazine, books, toys, clothes... literally we were giddy excited...we are still trying to sort who gave what so we can thank you individually, but until then, thank you each so so much. We felt very "loved on" and seriously each gift was SO perfect and fun!!!


Silly Madi in her brand new clothes, tags still on...Irene couldn't wait and had her stripped down and a new outfit on within seconds! :)

AND last but not least, not sure if it appropriate to post pictures of toilets but I couldn't resist sharing what I found tonight....after working on the computer, I looked up and Madi wasn't in the living room playing anymore and she was WAY to quiet to be up to any good and sure enough I found her in the bathroom trying to drown her shoe and bottle!!
I started to correct her soundly, but I just couldn't and broke out laughing at her determined little face, finger still on the "trigger" wondering why those suckers wouldn't flush!!! I grabbed her, wet jammies and all and kissed her until she wished I would stop...life goes so fast and with so many hard, heart breaking things going on right now in Guatemala, I just had to treasure this moment I had with my little chocolate chip...we could change her jammies and probably the tennis shoe would never quite be the same, but who cares, 'cause as I put her to bed tonight and she grinned at me behind her bottle, I wondered all over again if your heart can burst with love!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the sprit that little Madi has!!!! You are very blessed Mel!! I am praying for all the children in Guatemala.
Your forever Friend

Chris and Lindsey Wheeler said...

Melissa, thank you again for your heart....for loving the kids so much....for caring about the families that want to bring them home. You are a gift! God uses you so mightily. This morning I feel peace...so thank you friend for praying! This may be a long journey, but the Lord will lead the way. I also feel like your friend...I might just have to move to Guatemala as well. If you see Xio soon, give her a huge hug and kiss!! (and sneak a picture if you can) Love you so much, Lindsey

Unknown said...

you're so right. life goes so fast. From another girl who desperately loves children, thanks for taking the moment for what it was. And thanks for sharing your good stories from Guatemala. I'm sure plenty of families needed to hear them today.

We're praying here in KY!

Anonymous said...

Your post brought me to tears..... my heart breaks for what the future holds for guatemalan children who so need forever families...... My heart is constantly going out in prayer for the current situation........

Love the pics of madi -- and the toilet one too! Too, too precious!

Hugs,
gloria

Sharon said...

Oh, friend. So many things! First of all, I just ADORE you guys and Madi playing with the toilet is my favorite thing today! Thank you, on behalf of my daughter and so many other children here, for putting out a call to prayer. beautifully put, mi amiga. See you soon!Much, much love~

dreamingBIGdreams said...

hello.
Just found your blog through another blog. Enjoyed reading your posts.

I love the picture with the shoe and bottle in the potty! How funny!

My hubby and I are also from Texas and all of our family lives there except us! We are in TN.

We are in the adoption process too!
www.savingdowensky.com

:)Jamie

Greta Jo said...

Melissa- I am blog peeper. I love your pictures of Guatemala. I traveled to Guatemala in June for the pick up trip and had plans set to see the country. However, I got extremely ill the day after our embassy appt, needless to say the only thing I saw was the hotel, and the road to the embassy.
I hope to travel back to Guatemala within the next year to see the country and do some missionary work.