October 20, 2007

I saw what I saw.....

...I am vowing never to get that sick again, never, at least not in my apartment by myself with a baby.....I have to laugh at what my dad always said to us kids growing up, anytime we would go through something rough ( rough as in being found during hide and seek, or leaving your best doll in the rain overnight or even falling off your bike and getting one of those bad concrete scrapes) "It builds character" he would say "It builds character" ...so it did and so it does... Madi and I had some good character building, the past few days....in finishing my long stretch of wretched dentist appointments, I have had since I lived in Guatemala ( and I am one of those white knuckled gripping, not eating a week before a simple cleaning (ha...little exaggerated) people, seriously dislike the entire profession)...so, how about some good character building, Dad...try about 24 hours in a dentist office over the past 10 months...hey, does it still count as building that old character, when you calmly ask the dentist to please drug you or knock you out so soundly that you don't wake up for at least, well, give it 48 hours...and in Guatemala, there is very little "red tape" to go through for such a request...more like, "Si no problemo" My dentist is great, really and does a great job, but a couple days ago, I left Madi with a sitter and went into the city for my second to the last appointment ( can you tell I have been counting) 5 hour one, at that....what a doozy and came home so sick, I couldn't see straight. With Madi as my nurse we battled through it though...poor child, I seriously don't remember even feeding her, but looking at my sink full of dishes, I must have, or maybe Madi whipped up some delectable's for the both of us, who truly knows!! My friend Sharon ( bless her) came laden with "ibuprofeno" ice cream, Gatorade and a "Get Well Soon" balloon, to Madi's delight, trust me, she deserved it, she was the hero baby of the hour, that's for sure!!


I had to share this song with you guys...many of you may have already heard it, but it so adequately describes the heart changing that the Lord allows, once our eyes have been open to need...

"Compassion ~ is not a bending toward the underprivileged from a privileged position; it is not a reaching out from on high to those who are less fortunate below; it is not a gesture of sympathy or pity for those who fail to make it in the upward pull - .....On the contrary, compassion means going to those people and places where suffering is most acute and building a home there. God's compassion is total, absolute, unconditional, without reservation. It is the compassion of one who keeps going to the most forgotten corners of the world, and who cannot rest as long as he knows that there are still human beings with tears in their eyes."
"I saw what I saw


10 comments:

Laura said...

Melissa -

I found your blog through Dave & Gracie's 'For Such is the Kingdom' blog. Thank you for sharing your experiences with total strangers :).

This post convicted me... I have never read that definition of compassion before. It struck me that often our attempts at 'mission' work fail because we view our attempts from a lofty position reaching downward. Much more to pray about in this area!

We are a foster/adoptive family in Texas. While our path is different from the one you are walking, we both feel the heart of God for these little ones.

Blessings from a stranger in Texas,
Laura

Katie said...

Wow, Mel! That's amazing. Sorry about your teeth, by the way. I love that definition of Compassion. My interpretation/application involves contacting a lender this week so we can sell our house! Thanks for inspiring and reminding.

Blessed Mommy said...

awww, i hope your teeth are so much better.. sounds like your RN Madi was quite a good helper :) lots of love to you both!

Charity Grace said...

So glad you are feeling better, Melissa!!!

Chris and Lindsey Wheeler said...

Melissa,
I am so sorry that you were sick with little Madi....wish I was there to help!! I LOVE that definition of compassion....there are sooooo many days Chris and I want to pack up everything and move to Guat! Who knows, it may happen one day! Talk to you soon.

Love you,
Lindsey

Chris and Lindsey Wheeler said...

You are a gift to me! Thanks for today. It was God's way of physically telling me that He's in this!!

Love you, Lindsey

Nikki....Gabi's Mama said...

Such a beautiful post. I hope you are feeling better. Bless Madi for taking such good care of you. We are heading back down to Guate on Nov 3rd for 2 weeks, we would love a playdate.

Nikki, Kevin & Gabi

Anonymous said...

Melissa,
I am so sorry to hear that you have been sick! Ughh! Not fun! I remember how being sick in guate was so much worse than being sick anywhere else....... yuck! I hope you are feeling better soon!

Love,
gloria

Erin said...

girl, I miss your blog posts. Please share your thoughts again soon.

Anonymous said...

I, too, have wondered where your new posts are. I love reading your blog. I was actually in Antigua for just a day last week and I saw you and Maddie from a distance walking down the street. It was funny because I felt like I knew you from reading these posts and yet we don't know each other at all. We do share a kinship through the Lord and through our connection of children to Guatemala.
Samantha Jones