May 21, 2007

A simple man


..... a humble servant, who daily washes the feet of the "least of these" Dick Rutgers is a dear friend of our family's and has one of the most needed ministries I know of here in Guatemala! Dick ministers in villages, hospitals, orphanages and in his own neighborhood on a daily basis and has heart as much like Christ as I have had the privilege of seeing in my lifetime! Dick has a wheel chair ministry ( among other things) and if you walk through the doors of Hermano Pedro hospital here in Antigua, you will see a "multitude" of wheelchairs either being put to use or lined up against the wall waiting for their little owners to inhabit them. Children who would never have the freedom to explore the world outside their metal cribs are given a life when they are put in wheelchairs and they are able to interact with others in the "outside world" You have no idea what a gift Dick is to these children and my all time favorite thing in the world is to watch Dick walk through the hospital and see heaven come down for those children, they sing out his name, smiles and cute CP laughter lights up the place and countless times have I walked in the door, knelt down to hug someone and am asked right off the bat, when Dick is coming!!!! I love it!!!! I would also love for you all to get to know Dick and familiarize yourself with his ministry. Dick sends out almost weekly updates of his days filled with ministry and you can subscribe to them by e-mailing Dick at dickr@terra.com.gt I would encourage you with all my heart to sign up and get ready for a blessing!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dearest - I'm not sure this blog was such a good idea as it makes me miss you a billion times more! I love reading what is on your heart - keep up the writing and pics - can't get enough!!
Your Mary M =)

I am the Clay said...

Dick sounds amazing.... and I would love to meet him one day... thanks for sharing the "heart" of Guatemala with us all.

Gloria

Blessed Mommy said...

already sent him an email.. can't wait to hear more about him being Jesus' hands and feet!!! Hope you're having tons of fun with your brother!!

Charity Grace said...

Thanks, Melissa--I signed up. Billy and I have been interested in wheelchair ministry for awhile, so I'll be very interested to hear more.

*waves to Mary Margaret* :)

Anonymous said...

I have had the privilege of working with Dick on a couple mission trips. He is truly a servant of God. If only I had half of his love for people.